To round off maternal mental health week, we asked Mums on social media what advice they’d give to new Mums in those first few weeks – and we got a lot of replies! Here are the most common and most important.
- Try and rest as much as possible – your body has done an incredible thing – give it a break!
- Allow yourself space; don’t be afraid to grab a shower when there are people around to cuddle the baby.
- Let yourself off the hook; looking after your new human is a huge job so don’t beat yourself up for not having a spotless house, and if someone offers to help – let them.
- Talk to other Mums; whether at church, baby groups or in your group of friends, you are not alone.
- Plan some enjoyable things; whether it be going out for a walk or visiting your favourite cafe.
- Be honest about how you’re feeling, it’s okay to feel however you feel, try to verbalise it if you can.
- You’ve just had a baby and you can cry if you want to.
- Get some fresh air.
- Remember that this too shall pass – this stage won’t last forever.
- Don’t be afraid to tell people when you’re struggling; tell your partner, your midwife or health visitor so they can help you.
For more information on organisations who can help, check out: PANDAS: Helpline 0843 2898401.